Thursday, May 6, 2010

Team Hospicio!

I cannot believe that it is already day 6 on our trip in the DR!  

We have now completed two days of clinic, and I am on team Hospicio.  Each day has been full of great learning experiences for me, as well as me trying to let my guard down with the language barrier.  The first day was a little rattling for me, but I have learned that even though we may not understand each other, a hand hold or hug goes a long way here.   This city is so crammed full of people and there is a serious lack of personal space, however this makes for a learned environment of everyone being very close, looking out for each other and in general very affectionate towards each other.  Right now we have a group exercise class in the mornings for about 10 residents, then we work with a few patients in the home, as well as in the outpatient area.  I find it interesting that there is really no patient charting at the place that I am working.  We know nothing about the patient when we meet them, no history or anything.  However this is making us more confident in our ability to find out important information in short periods of time and come up with diagnoses and appropriate exercise programs for patients.  I am currently working with a male who has a T11 spinal cord injury and finding it more difficult that I thought to work on strengthening exercises for him.  The challenge lies in the fact that the Dominican has a lack of healthcare resources, such as plinths and mats at appropriate levels, for patients to work with.  People with disabilities in the DR are seen as non-existent.  There are no handicap ramps on corners.  The coutry views them as invalids as if there is nothing that can be done the help them.  For example, if my pt were in the US, he would be able to be fit for a wheelchair that would allow him to transfer independently from WC to mat or bed or chair.  He would have more opportunities for transportation and rehab facilities and in general because of the resources we have here, this man would be able to live an independent life.  So it is hard for me too see someone with so much potential not able to have these things.  Our focus with him is to make him as functionally independent as we can with the resources that he has here.  We will continue to work with him the next week!

We made it to clinic by ourselves on the guagua today (day 2 of clinic) - yay!  Group exercise was much more dynamic this morning as well, with more participants.  Everyone seems happy to be there and try things out.  Again, our resources are limited but we come up with some very creative things to do!  The group is quite hilarious, really! 

Kenson is one of the people that works in the outpatient area and he has been very helpful to us, and getting me to practice my spanish (or lack of) and show me that I do understand some.  And actually right now I understand quite a bit more, but I cannot form the right words to speak it. 

I will write more later about my moving experiences at Batey Libertad soon!   Off to bed - these long, but rewarding days are killing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment