Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Clinic tours

And then we saw a RAT!  Yes a rat in between our casas on the ceiling.  I was not afraid, for I figured that my mosquito netting would protect me! 

Well last night the power went out, which apparently happens quite frequently here!  Everyone piggy backs off each others power and grids get shut off!  So I woke up in the middle of the night sweating and not being able to sleep.  The power was still off when I got up to go for a run.  We have a little track on campus here, a little figure 8, and its nice.  I did run in a monsoon this morning (which had started the evening before)!

Today was a busy day in which we toured all of the clinic sites that we will be working at.  We also toured the Rehabilitation hospital, which I am very impressed with.  All of the staff is so nice and helpful.  They gave us a great tour in which we had the opportunity to meet staff, patients and the PMR docs.  This outpatient clinic treats up to 800 pts a day (as long as it is not raining outside, for people do not come to clinic when it is raining). I will be working at Hospicio, which we also toured.  It is a long term care and outpatient facility.  I am starting to pick up on some Spanish, but I have a problem speaking it back.  Tonight I will be spending some time making up some cards to put in my pockets to help me out tomorrow!  The residents and staff are very nice here and I am excited to start work there tomorrow!  We also toured a community healthcare site, which is where community people are trained to do rehab for children in Santigo.  It is a very neat program and they currently treat 320 children in the area.

Tonight we are discussing case studies with healthcare professionals.  More on this later!

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment